Thursday 15 December 2011

DIY : Pillowcase (A Tutorial)

Since I can't keep my hands off my new machines, I decided to make a simple tutorial on how to make simple pillowcases. It's done in the envelope style and using standard (well...standard in my house) sizes.

All right, first off you would need around 2 meters of fabric to make 2 pillowcases. I use the 45" (standard) width fabric. Bought it in Kamdar for Rm2/meter. You can use fancier fabric if you like but to me these are just fine.

The dimension for the pillowcases
The dimension is like the picture above. You will have to cut 3 pieces for 1 pillowcase.

  • A - 29.5 " x 19.5"
  • B - 26" x 19.5"
  • C - 8" x 19.5"
Once you've cut it..it'll look like this :-
From the top (clockwise) - A, my son's feet, C and B
Serge the sides and then for pieces B & C, sew one side (the one with the 19.5" length) at 1/4" seam allowance. It should look like this :


After that, lay out the pieces accordingly. (I used different color pieces to show the layout clearly..I didn't make my pillow in 3 colors in case you're wondering)
Layout piece B on top of piece A up to the left most edge

Layout piece C on top of pieces A & B..to the right most edge
Pin all the edges..taking care on the overlap of pieces B & C.
I folded back piece C to pin B to A

Then, pin back C to B
Now you can start sewing with a 1/2" seam allowance. (Well, I just prefer to have a 1/2" allowance, you can have yours to be 1/4" if you like). Do take special precaution when sewing over meeting point for B & C. I reverse a couple stitches so that it's stronger.
See the place where it's pinned? Yeah..I reverse stitched there a few times

And then when you're done sewing the whole rectangle, just flip it inside out and you're done!

Tada!
So, do try it out and let me know if there's anything confusing. Happy Weekend everyone...Enjoice!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...